Monday, February 4, 2008

Rob Saffi and the Odd Breed- Review

Artist: Rob Saffi and the Odd Breed
Title:  Rob Saffi and the Odd Breed
Website: http://www.robsaffi.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/robsaffi
Style: Rock/ Blues
Rating: 9 out of 10
By C.W. Ross
 
Rob Saffi and the Odd Breed is, Rob Saffi (vocals, guitars), Stu Weinberg (bass), and Darrell Long (drums). Saffi began taking the stage in Providence, RI in 2003 garnering regional success before deciding in 2005 to move to New York City.
 
Once there he started playing on street corners and subway platforms before becoming a regular on the West Village's music scene headlining at local haunts like, The Bitter End, Kenny's Castaways, and The Lions Den.
 
Rob Saffi and the Odd Breed play a blend of rock n' roll with a blues side. The 9 songs found on this the self-titled debut release from the band feature really interesting guitar parts and song arrangements.
 
The lyrics are real life and deal with hope and false hopes that some people have dreamed up in their minds. Saffi's vocals are gritty and have a earned street cred to them.
 
When asked about the album, "Starting out," Saffi says, "I knew I wanted out of my hometown, and there was more to life than I saw there, but that was about as far as I thought it out.  So I moved (to New York), picked up odd jobs, played where I could, and wrote under streetlamps, trying to find my voice and where I fit.  This album is what I wrote under those streetlamps.  This album is that voice."
 
This isn't fancy music this is dirt under your fingernails style of music that's real and hits a home run.  Do yourself a big favor and get this release soon.

No comments: