Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Tiffany Apan Interview




Below is an interview that I recently done with Tiffany Apan:

Interview:

1. How would you describe your music stylistically?

The style of my music is ambience mixed in with rock and classical vocals. We draw from many different genres and styles of music, but that is the basic gist of the music's style.

2. Will you tell us about your debut release, Poet?

Absolutely! It is an album that came together by my drawing for journal entries and poems that I had written throughout the years hence the name, Poet. This is a very personal album and I believe it is a good introduction to who I am as a person and certain aspects of my life. It is also unique in the sense that the music is such that people have found difficult to place into one particular genre. As a result, the released songs from the album are being played on a wide variety of radio stations ranging from goth to metal to pop to folk/americana and other genres. I love it because it is resulting in me reaching out to a broad range of audiences; people of all ages and all walks of life.

3. Where can people purchase Poet?

It will be available online and in some stores. A few places that I can think of off the top of my head include Amazon, CDBaby, some Borders stores, Dave's Music Mine, and FYE online. A complete list of locations on where to pick up the album will soon be up on my website and myspace.

4. Where does the inspiration come from for your songs?

Life, Love, the world, relationships, breakups, events that have occured in my life, history, the present, the future, EVERYTHING. I'm constantly getting ideas in my mind for new song. Anything can trigger it be it a glance back into an old journal, a news broadcast or current event, or a chat with a friend. I've been writing poems since I was a child and it is the best therapy (for me at least).

5. What is your favorite song that you've written and why?

That's a tough one as all the songs on the album are special to me. But if I had to choose one, I would pick Ashes to Dust. It's what best suits my state of mind at this time:)

6. Do you do many live show?

Well, we are just wrapping up a warm up mini tour for which we played six shows in five cities. We peformed in art galleries, churches, and clubs. Now in 2008, we are kicking off the first half of "A Poet's Labyrinth" Tour which is set to run for January through June and that consists of 12 confirmed shows and 10 cities. For one of those shows, we will be playing a show with the internationally acclaimed prog rock band, Persephone's Dream. We possibly may add one or two more shows on to the January-June tour schedule. The second half set to run from July through November will be announced in April or May.

7. What artist do you enjoy listening to?

There are many- I enjoy many different artists from almost all genres of music. But a few I can pick out include Sarah Brightman, Nightwish, Tarja Turunen, Loreena McKennit, Dead Can Dance, Lacuna Coil, Black Eyed Peas, The Cure, Judy Garland, Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Celtic Woman, Mandy Moore, Opeth, Frank Sinatra, Bjork, Sade to only name a few.

8. Your bio. includes some acting credits especially in the genre of horror films. I'm curious how did you get involved with that and is acting something that you hope to pursue more in the future?

I've been acting since a very young age. I was involved with local and regional theatre from middle school up until mid college doing shakespeare, musical theatre, and cabaret styled shows. I have also always loved horror movies and I had the opportunity to be in a couple throughout the years. For me, the horror films are a chance to relax, have fun, and hang out with some people I wouldn't have otherwise met. Music is my primary career, but I plan to do some more with film and theatre in the future. I will also be contributing some songs of mine to a couple films, so watch for that;)

9. What's the one non-living thing that you couldn't make it through the day without?

Well on an everyday basis, I would have to say lip balm because even though I'm a big water drinker, my lips get really dry pretty easily. As far as being a singeis concerned, Rowen Poole of the band Persephone's Dream introduced me to a wonderful tea called Throat Coat. Now I'm never without it for a show or recording session along with Vicks and my mini vaporizer:)

10. Anything I missed that you want to tell our readers?

Check out my websites at:
http://www.tiffany-apan.com
http://www.myspace.com/tiffanyapanmusic
http://www.iacmusic.com/tiffanyapan

No comments: