Monday, February 11, 2008

Jacqueline Grace Interview



Jacqueline Grace Interview
By C.W. Ross
 
Jacqueline Grace is in her early 20's and has been blessed with exotic model beauty from her Filipino/ Mexican heritage.
 
But there's much more to Jacqueline then her looks.
 
This singer/songwriter from San Diego started singing at age 5 and was performing onstage by age 11. She was a member of her school music clubs and was often asked to perform at school activities.
 
Throughout her high school years Jacqueline took lead roles in various musical productions at San Diego Junior Theater, where she discovered her true love for performing in front of live audiences. She continued to perform throughout college, and in her senior year was the featured singer at the San Diego Sharp Medical Annual Gala.
 
Jacqueline's debut release is out now and features a blend of singer/songwriter, hip- hop, dance, latin, and pop musical styles.
 
 
 
Below is a recent interview that we done with Jacqueline.
 
1-Your music blends many different styles. How would you describe it?
 
Realistically I'd call it mainstream fusion. My ambition is to take world music elements and make them work for what you hear on the radio. It's been done, don't get me wrong, but I find that usually those elements become a factor in production of the song as opposed to initial influence. If I hear an Indian drum beat, or a Mariachi horn that I like, I try to create a song that implicitly involves that element. The working title I use for what I'm trying to accomplish is "global soul," to create music that moves you that incorporates various cultures. It's a lofty aspiration, but I'd like to think it can be done.
 
2-What affect does your Filipino/Mexican heritage have on your music?
 
Absolutely, although the latter currently is more prevalent than the former. Growing up as a kid I was exposed to the traditional elements of both cultures. Each one is rich in traditional dances and music to go with it. I never took much heed growing up, but now I realize both are great outlets for inspiration. On my first album, I find there are many moments where Latin music becomes the main focus. I'd like to think that what's holding me back right now is I have yet to fully conquer Tagalog (the national language of the Philippines, I think). Once I get a better grasp, I think I can then figure out the true structure of Pinoy songs.
 
3-Where do you draw your inspiration from for your songs?
 
Various places is the short answer. You ask me about each song and you'll get a different response. On my album, for example, inspiration is anything from a movie to a person. I know there are a lot of artists out there who draw specifically from personal experiences. To be honest, if that were my way of approaching music, my album would probably be quite monotonous. Personally I don't feel I have an album's worth of experiences (yet!). So what helped fuel the creation of my songs was a creative story line. I'd find myself telling a story with each song, I'd figure out the protagonist, obstacles, etc. so when the song is done, it resembles some sort of vignette. But I write each song from my perspective, and so I do find each song to be personal.
 
4-What person has influenced your music most?
 
Michael Jackson. I have a list, but his are the cd's i pull up an listen to on iTunes when I'm stuck. I listen to every aspect, from the production and lyric to the delivery and structure. From what I've heard of the man, he is extremely meticulous. But look how it pays off! Each harmony he creates is flawless, the vibratos are in perfect unison..., I digress. But I find that if I'm having trouble with writing a song, or seeing what makes it rock hard, then I look through all my MJ songs, from Jackson 5 to invincible, pick a few that match what I'm trying to accomplish and dissect them.
 
5- What is your favorite song that you've written and what makes it your favorite?
 
Oh, Man. Jeez, one song? I honestly don't have a favorite, but one that constantly sticks out in my mind is "Pandora's Box." Why it is really comes from the fact that it was a song of mine where everything just fell into place. Everything came very quickly and stuck. And at least for me it was a personal conquest because I had been writing all this wordy, intense music, and this was the first mellowed track I produced that I really was proud of.
 
6- Where do you hope to be with your music say 5 years down the road?
 
Still writing for myself and other artists. Constantly collaborating. Touring. And also finding other outlets to showcase my whole "global soul," idea. I've been watching the National Geographic channel and I think should I gain notoriety, I would love to film a series showcasing traditional music from different parts of the world. I've been told Paul Simon did something similar, but I'd make it look good. ;)
 
7- What artist do you enjoy listening to?
 
Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Joel, Michael and Janet, KT Tunstall, Foo Fighters, Frank Sinatra, Dave Matthews Band, Spice Girls (and proud of it!), Fiona Apple, the Beatles, Frank Valli and the Four Seasons, Beyonce, Gloria Estefan,... I think I'll stop now. Recently I've been on a Bjork fix. I love the dynamism.
 
8- If you could sing with any other music artist who would it be?
 
Michael Jackson. That was hard.
 
9- Where can people buy your music?
 
the itunes store, cdbaby.com, and any venue where I'm performing.
 
10- This is the catch-all question, anything we missed that you want to tell the readers?
 
I like long walks on the beach..., just to check out my website, check out my myspace and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave me comments if you'd like. I do read them! Come see me perform and yes; I am going to see the next Indiana Jones installment. I hope to see you there.
 
Fun Questions:
 
 What's your favorite food?
 
Chocolate Chip cookies. Sadly it's more of an addiction.
 
What's the most unusual food that you've ever eaten?
 
Pigs blood and rice. I'm not kidding.
 
What's your favorite TV show?
 
THE X-FILES. I' m the biggest nerd. Surprise!
 
For a vacation would you rather go to the beach or skiing?
 
Beach for sure. I have poor circulation, so it would only be a matter of minutes before I'd be a popsicle.
 
If you were going to be taken to a desert island and you could have only one material thing (not counting any humans or animals) what would it be?
 
Wonder Woman's Invisible jet, fully fueled. You know it exists. ;)
 

No comments: